SXSWedu fosters innovation in learning by hosting a diverse community of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds in education. This four-day event offers engaging sessions, interactive workshops, hands on learning experiences, cinematic portrayals, early stage startups and a host of networking opportunities. At SXSWedu 2015, I attended some fantastic sessions, workshops and keynotes including:
- Crowdsourcing by Charles Best of DonorsChoose.org
- Interactive Strategies to Improve Student Thinking
- Hacking PD Through Innovation and Collaboration
- Starting on Instructional Rounds on Your Campus
- Code Like a Girl! Coding by Design
- Designing Better Online Learning Experiences
- Video Creation with the Amoeba Sisters
- iPad Animation with Animation Chefs
- Creating Meaningful Human Interaction Online
- Rethink and Redesign Professional Development by Sheryl Chard of the Sofia Center
- Connected Learning by Mimi Ito
- Brain-focused Strategies for Learning and Living by Goldie Hawn
- Education Re-Imagined by Sal Khan of Khan Academy
For information about these sessions and links to materials, view my Storify recap of this event.
My current project is putting what I learned about online learning design at SXSWedu into practice as I develop a new blended PD opportunity for math teachers in our district. This PD model will blend asynchronous online learning opportunities with face-to-face instructional coaching. The goal is to provide a job-embedded PD model that supports teachers as they implement new research-based instructional strategies into their classrooms to improve student learning. I will provide updates on this project as it develops!